Monday, July 28, 2008

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it"

George Santayana from Reason in Common Sense

As a result of the conversations started last week about race relations, accessed through the use of the N-word and "guido" I've started an inquiry into "how we got here."

Dwayne's answer to the question What does the N-word mean? provided an understanding of the history of the word and its impact today. Dwayne gave us white folk a better reason for not using the word than it's being impolite, not worth the hassle and bad things will happen if you do. Not that this understanding in an of itself will change behavior among whites, because we for the most part don't use the word.

For those who have attempted to derail this conversation with your feigned outrage about me trying to re-introduce the word into the white vernacular, please take a ginkgo biloba and then show me where I advocated that.

Yes, I used the word in an inflammatory way. Yes, a local newspaper took the bait and sensationalized it with a headline that said I played the "race card", whatever that means, and emphasised my inflammatory remarks over my desire to increase understanding and acceptance between the races. It emphasised that I used a "racial slur" even though I did not refer to anyone by the word. Unfortunately, that is what it takes to get attention and sell newspapers. Hopefully a few people will stay around for the rest of the conversation.

The prevalent use of the word in black culture, the lack of outrage by black leaders over the use of the word in black culture and a black celebrity, Whoopi Goldberg, using the word with impunity on a network TV show and insisting that we live "in different worlds" are symptoms of the separatism that is prevalent in and destructive to our country. To borrow another phrase that's prevalent in black culture, "That's what I'm talk'n about."

There are powerful political and economic interests that depend on this separatism thriving, I believe to our overall detriment.

I've started to research the history of slavery and racism. Much of what I have learned is horrific and surprising. I'll be sharing what I've learned and read with visitors of this blog. I don't know how long this conversation will last, but there is already a weeks worth of posts scheduled. Hopefully this will generate debate, commentary and understanding. Hopefully there will be contributions from readers.

No comments: