Monday, August 04, 2008

Art Gallagher's comments to the Middletown Township Committee, August 4, 2008

Mayor Scharfenberger, members of the Township Committee, ladies and gentlemen of Middletown and guests,

My name is Art Gallagher. I am a former Middletown resident. I am currently a Middletown business owner, as I have been for the last 10 years. I am a Middletown property tax payer and 75% of my employees are Middletown residents. I live in Highlands. For purposes of the record, please use my business address, 571 Route 36, Belford.

As a resident and business owner, I have always endeavored to be a good neighbor. Mostly with success I think. I don’t remember ever turning down a request to contribute to the community which has treated me and my family so well. Be it the senior prom, police or fire departments, or local charities, I have been there when asked, however modestly. I also volunteer my time to local civic organizations whenever possible.

Recently, some have alleged that I am also a Human Rights violator. According to reports published on the Internet, the Middletown Human Rights Commission had a “special meeting” last week about my blog, MoreMonmouthMusings, and a conversation I started about race relations. At that meeting, which I was not invited to nor informed about until after it happened, my writing was condemned, and by inference I was labeled a racist Human Rights violator.

I started the conversation in response to the Reverend Jesse Jackson’s vulgar comments about Barack Obama. I used the same offensive word that Reverend Jackson used, not as a slur towards any one individual or race. Rather, I used it and other offensive words as a linguistic devise, a provocation, to generate attention for this conversation about race relations. It worked.

I come to you tonight, not to defend my 1st Amendment rights, because they have not been violated. I do not come to criticize those who would silence me, because they have the same unalienable right to condemn my speech as I have to utter it.

Nor do I come to apologize. I did what I did intentionally and with a purpose. It worked better than I counted on. I baited my critics to generate attention to the conversation that I believe needs to be had. They reacted predictably. I make no apology for manipulating them, because to do so would dishonor them. I have no delusions about being a puppeteer. Each of us has choices. We are responsible for our own actions and reactions.

Nor do I apologize to my friends and affiliates that my critics have tried to paint as racist by association. Their reactions and responses are an important part of this conversation.

We all need to look in the mirror and into our hearts.

I come to invite you all into the conversation and to take it to the next level.

Contrary to published reports, I did not, and I do not, advocate that the offensive word be reintroduced into the main stream lexicon. I am pleased that one of my critics who in the past has regularly used the word has now publically condemned it. That is one positive result of my provocation, but there is much more work to do.


While addressing the nation about the racial controversy generated by the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Senator Barack Obama said, "…race is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore right now. The fact is that the comments that have been made and the issues that have surfaced over the last few weeks reflect the complexities of race in this country that we've never really worked through - a part of our union that we have yet to perfect. And if we walk away now, if we simply retreat into our respective corners, we will never be able to come together and solve challenges like health care, or education, or the need to find good jobs for every American. "

I am happy that there is something so important that Senator Obama and I agree about.

We haven’t worked through these issues or perfected our union. Many of us, me included, haven’t worked through them individually or perfected our hearts. I’m coming out of the corner and I invite you to also.

I am aware that time is short tonight and I thank the Mayor for indulging me. I want to quickly invoke two more historic figures and then make a request before I conclude my remarks.

As part of my study of race relations I recently read the full text of Martin Luther King, Jr’s I have a dream speech. If you haven’t read it or listened to it recently, I encourage you to do so. There is a link to it on my blog.

As I read the speech Dr. King delivered 45 years ago, I was struck with how much of King’s dream has been fulfilled. Much of what he dreamed of is now the law of our land. However, we still have a long way to go. The rest of his dream can not be legislated because we can not legislate what is in our hearts and minds. In order for the rest of King’s dream to be fulfilled, I think we need to look to the words of another historic figure, whose principles our nation was founded on. He is one historic figure who is revered in both the black and white communities. The quote is brief, but it is reaches into the heart of the matter of how we can perfect ourselves, our union and our planet. Tragically, I can not say his name here in this government building without sparking an even bigger controversy, but you will know who it is when I quote him.

Those powerful words are, “Love one another as I have loved you.”

With those words, Mr. Mayor, I conclude my remarks. I request that this governing body instruct the Middletown Human Rights Commission to have another special meeting and to do so quickly. I request to be invited to or notified about that meeting. And I request that as a result of that meeting, that the Middletown Human Rights Commission either reaffirm or reverse their action concerning me and the work I am doing on my blog.

Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have added a "Fuck You" but you are more polite than I.

Art Gallagher said...

I see your point, but that sentiment is not really consistent with the message I am trying to forward

Anonymous said...

Yeah, using the "F-word" after a speech explaining your use of the "N-word" that ends with a quote from "JC" whose name you left out because of "PC" might have queered the whole speech.

Oh damn! I said "queer." I was trying to be careful. Sorry Art. Good luck with that backlash

Lugar96

Anonymous said...

I applaud Gallagher wanting to open the race relations debate.

Liberal pluralists have flubbed fundamental race relations by handing it over to purely political solutions. Distinctly utopian marxist solutions to be sure...the idea that racial harmony is legislated, regulated and intimidated into being by the force of the state is a distinctly Stalinist approach to social state craft.

The reason Martin Luther King was so effective and so ahead of the secular statists on the race relations issue is because he saw that you could only do so much with changes in the laws...it is the hearts of man which must change to make racial harmony effective. Dr. King also made it clear that the prejudices in men's hearts came from resentment and fear and existed in the the total racial color spectrum.

Remove the fear, you remove the resentment. Remove the resentment and you remove intolerance.

Government intervention and ham fisted fumbling does more to create resentment than cure it. Racial harmony cannot be intimidated into being by state decree, intimidation just spreads resentments...which is why race relations have stalled ever since Dr. King...no black or white leader has pursued the crusade to change men's hearts without the hammer of the state to create more resentment.

When I look at all the black community US leaders since Dr. king I see men who are themselves resentful, intolerant and vindictive (Obama was mentored in this environment)...no racial harmony can progress from this basis.

Also, the thing that goes largely unstated in our new secular cultural-marxist PC world is the thing that gave Dr. King his passion, understanding vision and guided his resolve was his personal faith in mankind and he appealed to the better nature in all of us...that came from his personal Christian articles of faith.

The remaining chapter in realizing racial harmony after all the legislating is done is what Dr. King appealed to; the hearts of man. Cultural marxist politically correct race politics enforcement appeals only to our fears through intimidation 0of state force...it breeds resentment and hardens our hearts.

The answer to racial harmony is not cultural marxist forced affimative action but freely accepted tolerant understanding and a shared humane empathy from all racial groups...both qualities of Christian catechism that the secular culture has abandoned for secular state-as-god political solutions.

All the failed utopian tyrannies have found out the hard way that there is no political statist solution to control what is in a man's heart. There is no way for the state or a tyrant to intimidate a man into changing his deepest beliefs and prejudices. They can force compliance against your will and force you to recant...but they can't change what is really in your heart..,resentment and loathing. If it was there before it is now intensified after a despotic enforcment against your will.

Removing fear,loathing,resentment and prejudices in men's hearts is not the roll of the state, it is a matter of free personal will and guiding that is the realm of divinely inspired role models who can provoke evolutionary social changes though encouraging a willful purifying spiritual catharsis in individuals.

I believe Dr. King saw this reality and did his best to serve as that role model. Most of his statist/secular sycophants don't.

Perhaps this explains why state run race relations dyslexia allows some to use derogatory racial slurs and not others. The obsess over the nuances of the "rules" and ignore the personal evolution that must occur to make enforcement of the "rules" unneeded.

,