Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Holmdel Democratic Chairman endorses Christie for Governor

A letter to the editor published by the Asbury Park Press:

I heard Christopher J. Christie speak at a local event a few years ago.

Christie, then the U.S. attorney for New Jersey, chose to come to Monmouth County and confront the criticism he was taking for indicting iconic Republican Freeholder Harry Larrison on bribery charges. When Christie spoke, he appeared to be somewhat defensive but defiant and undaunted.

He said that, as U.S. attorney, he expected two things from his staff: "Know right from wrong, and do the right thing." Simple, but so lacking in New Jersey politics. He mentioned that when attending social gatherings and engaging in conversation, people would recoil from him upon discovering he was an elected official — a reflection of assumed corruption.

He put his words into action and indicted Democrats and Republicans alike who had one thing in common: They betrayed the public trust. His mission was to help restore it. New Jersey is suffering from a lack of leadership and vision. Partisanship has led to a lack of accomplishment and a cat-and-mouse game between both parties. Northern Jersey Democrats and machine Democrats to the south are in control. State Republicans are wallowing in right-wing fantasyland and are anything but constructive. Christie would give reasonable leadership to his party and have the political will, courage and determination to tackle the tough issues.

I have been a registered Democrat all my life. I served as a local elected official. I proudly currently serve as Democratic municipal party chairman. There comes a time when issues transcend party loyalty, tug on the sleeve of reason and call for a new direction. I voted for Barack Obama because I could not expect the same people with the same agenda doing the same thing would produce different results. I am supporting Christie for governor the same reason.


Tony Orsini
HOLMDEL

7 comments:

ambrosiajr said...

As the former Colts Neck Democratic Chair, I could also endorse Christie if he could explain to me how and why he would give a $52,000,000 contract to his old boss that saved him from extinction when the Bush administration was going to fire him with all those other US Attorneys. He, apparently was on the list. I like that he prosecuted the corrupt politicians, but then turned around and gave that plum job to Ashcroft with no one else in consideration. That is disturbing to me.

I know Tony Orsini and he's a stand up guy and this was a gutsy thing to do.

Art Gallagher said...

Rick,

After Christie explains the Ashcroft appointment, I'll happily publish your endorsement here.

Son of Liberty said...

Art if you publish that endorsement that may be the Kiss of death for Christie in the primary

ambrosiajr said...

LOL...thanks for thinking so highly of me SOL...

I am no fan of Jon Corzine, and I really just don't like Lonegan. I think he's just a media whore. I admire Christie for his stance on corruption, but I do have trouble with picking Ashcroft for the oversight position without benefit of considering anyone else. I may just have to sit this one out...

Well, not really, but its a thought.

Anonymous said...

Ambro
I have concerns about both of them
Lonegan strikes me as a demagog and christie had some personality issues when a freeholder
I have heard
I am taking a wait and see attitude

Anonymous said...

Sure, the Ashcroft thing bothers me. But on balance, a lot more about the State Dems bother me. I'm looking for COAH fairness, property tax reform, and state mandate state pay as opposed to passing the bills to municipalities. We're simply not getting that from the State Democratic Party. They have lost thier way and have thrown us suburban Dems under the proverbial bus.

Art Gallagher said...

Tony,

Thanks for your participation here.

I appreciate you honesting about the State Democratic party.

Have you thought about how you will vote if Christie does not win the nomination?