Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Little Addresses the Rumors


As many of my readers know, Freeholder Anna Little as been the subject of a nasty and baseless character assassination attempt from within the Republican Party. This campaign, which began almost immediately after her victory on November 7, 2006, was initially spread through the rumor and gossip mill and escalated to another Monmouth County political blog in mid December.

Today, the rumors were reported by a blog associated with Politicsnj.com and by Jim Purcell's Inside Clamdigger blog.

I sent Freeholder Little an email inviting her to make a statement. Her verbatim statement is as follows:

"First of all, let me thank you for asking me to comment. While you have me at a disadvantage because I do not know your identity and therefore cannot hold you accountable for what you report, I have nonetheless chosen to respond. I hope you will prove that I am not making a mistake.

1. I realized that not being a "Yes Man" would have its price but I didn't expect such vile insinuations about my love for and commitment to my family.

2. I never knew that having a different opinion about who to employ as a county professional, or which campaign contributions to accept, would arise to a character assassination. Certainly county committee conventions and leadership elections leave a bad taste in some peoples' mouths, but starting a character assassination over who is county counsel, and returned campaign contributions was unpredictable.

3. Friends and supporters have gotten to know my kids, and have become very fond of them. A number of people got together unbeknownst to me, and created a Christmas pool to give something to my kids. Upon discovering this, I thanked the group for their generosity and paid for the gifts before taking delivery of them.

I think it is despicable that generosity, inspired by the Christmas season, has been perverted and exploited by these rumor mongers.

4. While I cannot control the overwhelming generosity of those who love and support me, I will do everything in my power to maintain the integrity of the elected office in which I serve.

5. I have not sought, nor have I received any free heating oil for my home. I have paid for all heating oil delivered to my home.

6. There is no truth to rumors about my personal financial situation.

7. We live by role reversal in my family. I am a professional working mother, and my supportive husband works as a legal assistant in my office. Some cannot accept this modern arrangement. If I were a male attorney in private practice, and my wife were my secretary, I am certain that no one would question my ability to support my family.

8. I don't believe the voting public will buy into this nonsense. I am a hardworking person, like most of them.

It is distressing that a minority faction of the Republican Party finds my success so threatening that they would seek to destroy me. My purpose in seeking and serving in elective office is to provide ethical and efficient government.

My pledge to all residents of Monmouth County is to always be their advocate, to consistently strive to provide improved services and tax savings, and to conduct my life consistent with the trust they have placed in me.
"

~ Freeholder Anna C. Little, Esq.

It is my belief that those who are behind this campaign of character assassination are operating out of their own financial interests, at the expense of the County taxpayers and to the detriment of our Party. They have no regard for the truth and little regard for anything other than their own money and power. These are the same people who lost at three nominating conventions. If they continue on this reckless path, they will be doing great damage to an already vulnerable Monmouth County GOP.

WHS

7 comments:

Jackie Corley said...

So basically all of this nonsense is because somebody tried to by Anna Little's kids Christmas presents. Horror of all horrors.

Honest Abe said...

A very important post, Mr. Secretary. I've linked it.

Anonymous said...

Jackie Corley said...
So basically all of this nonsense is because somebody tried to by Anna Little's kids Christmas presents. Horror of all horrors.

Get all the facts jackie -- Its worse then that - There is real talk out there about personal financial trouble in the little household -- the story on the street is that the kids weren't going to get anything for christmas because the legal practice was failing and both parents worked in the practice so people got together to buy the kids some presents. I hope it is wrong but if Anna would just make her 2006 tax return available then perhaps this could all go away.

Art Gallagher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Seward said -- Anna Little won at a county convention and in a general election in a very tough year for Republicans. Get over it. Better yet, embrace her, celebrate her victory, and learn from it. She did something right!

I like that theory that we should embrasse the folks who win. Just one question -- why wouldn't anna shake adam's hand the day he won the chairman -- she out right refused. This is not a rumor I was there. Perhaps just perhaps you should ask her why.

But on a different note I am truly impressed how you Mr Seward post things that do not always agree with you - the right to disagree is what make the USA the Best-

Art Gallagher said...

Get all the facts jackie -- Its worse then that - There is real talk out there about personal financial trouble in the little household -- the story on the street is that the kids weren't going to get anything for christmas because the legal practice was failing and both parents worked in the practice so people got together to buy the kids some presents. I hope it is wrong but if Anna would just make her 2006 tax return available then perhaps this could all go away.

So if you want to defame someone you can start a baseless rumor and demand that they devulge private information. Ridulous.

Who has done their 2006 taxes already anyway? Today is January 8, 2007. Anyone have a W-4 or all their 1099's, 1098's yet.

The Littles didn't accept any gifts, for their kids or otherwise. They probably ended up spending more for their kids than they would have had their friends not reacted to the rumors and spent so generously.

This is turning into a classic case of gender bias. Both spouses working in the law firm of a male attorney would not be generating this interest.

This is not about the Little's finances. This is about certain "powerbrokers" (to quote the Chairman) who want to undo a general election and a county convention by destroying a good public servant and a very decent woman.

I haven't come close to "taking the gloves off" on this issue, in the interest of unity. My patience is growing thin. Let's not have a blood bath.

Anna Little won at a county convention and in a general election in a very tough year for Republicans. Get over it. Better yet, embrace her, celebrate her victory, and learn from it. She did something right!

Art Gallagher said...

I like that theory that we should embrasse the folks who win. Just one question -- why wouldn't anna shake adam's hand the day he won the chairman -- she out right refused. This is not a rumor I was there. Perhaps just perhaps you should ask her why.

I was there too, and I didn't notice that. But now this is getting petty. By now that should be water long under the bridge, and I would hate to think it has anything to do with the recent nonsense. I know who some of the parties behind the character assassination campaign are, and I've been trying to avoid a blood bath. I would be devastated to learn that the Chairman has anything to do with this.