Sunday, June 10, 2007

Favoritism, Retribution,Courage and Corruption

The remarkable thing about the developing controversy over Farmer John's appointment to head of the Department of Public Works and Engineering is not that Bill Barham traded the job for political favors. That's just Bill attempting to consolidate his power the way his Godfather taught him.

The real news is that a county employee came forward to expose the favoritism. While I applaud R. Sami Rizkalla for coming forward, I have to wonder if he is submitting his retirement papers. Unless he's cashing in back vacation pay before his pension checks start coming, Sami, a 62 year old engineer with a masters degree and 40 years of experience will probably spend the rest of his career grouting sewer lines by hand.

Fear of retribution is very real in this county, and understandably so. I thank God and the troops that I live in America, for I would probably have a bullet in my head for my recent activities if I lived in most other countries. Thankfully bullets are not the weapons of choice to quash dissent in Monmouth County.

In "Seward's" obituary on Abe's blog Teddy Roosevelt said...

anonymity has a long and honored tradition in American political speech dating back to before the revolution.

The biggest reason for anonymity is that most people can not take disagreement or criticism without becoming mean and vindictive.

Even those of us whose employment is not dependent on the whims of politicians do not need that type of aggravation.


Aggravation, economic and emotional, is the weapon of choice to quash political dissent in Monmouth County. Favoritism is the reward for cooperation.

Among the many phone calls and emails I received after coming out last week, one stands out. It was from a friend and fellow small business owner. A non-politically active Republican who says he's never voted for a Democrat, but will this year because he is fed up with how the county is being run. As we ended our phone call, my friend asked that I not mention his name on my blog for fear that an application he has before a municipal board would cost him triple legal and professional fees if his feelings became known. He said, "If I had a D rather than an R after my name, what I'm doing would be a great deal more difficult and expensive."

I call that corruption. Applications should be approved or declined based on their merits and the law, not on who your friends are or political affilations.

As for me, I'm glad to be writing under my real name. I don't consider myself courageous, as some have said. I don't need or want a cushy job with a pension attached. I'd rather spend legal and professional fees than be silenced. I like aggravating bullies and those soaking the system.

I plan to be very aggravating.

4 comments:

Downtowner said...

bravo, sir.

Anonymous said...

Are Bill and Adam deliberately trying to throw the upcoming election to the Dems?! This crap never stops! I can think only one thing and that is that they want to lose this year.

Honest Abe said...

Freehold Black Sox addressed...
"Are Bill and Adam deliberately trying to throw the upcoming election to the Dems?!"

I've heard talk about that, "Sox". Something to the effect that it allows Bill Barham to consolidate his power a la Harry. The story goes that with Bill in the minority, his "star power" is increased.
Unfortunately for that theory, many veteran Republicans have said that if we lose control this year, it's gone. Just gone. Look at Bergen.
I personally believe that it's simply a case of there being nobody of influence in our county with the political experience and knowledge to avoid these types of SNAFUs.

Anonymous said...

don't worry teri o'connor, the next county administrator will fix everything - she has the birdsall/collins/barham/larrison connection.