Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Trenton Democrats make a down payment on their purchase of Monmouth County


Monmouth County Democrats often state that they are not like Trenton and Washington Democrats. They've said they are fiscally conservative and are traditional family people.

Many of them, particularly on the Bayshore, their "old guard" are that way. They are John Kennedy or Harry Truman Democrats. They are Reagan Democrats. Many of them are former Republicans who for whatever reason, probably their decency, weren't welcome in the old Republican "Club Monmouth." Several of their candidates for state and county office over the last decade have been former Republicans.

Their leader, Victor Scudiery, as fine and decent a man as you could ever meet, funded their campaigns and party operations out of his own pocket. He also mortgaged his home to build a senior citizens center and fund local charities.

The torch has passed. George Norcross bought it. The onslaught to urbanize Monmouth County is on. Bergen County with beaches? Camden County with horse farms? Hudson County with lawns? Nope. Get ready for Monmouth County under asphalt if we don't turn back this tide.

The scheme to advance Norcross Democrats wealth and power made a major advance when Norcross' Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts pushed through a new "affordable housing" law early this summer which, if not overturned in court, will require high density housing projects to be built in Middletown, Wall and Howell. Funny how Corzine didn't hesitate to sign that COAH/RCA law, but has yet to sign the government employees pension reforms that passed the same week.

If you want a glimpse of the future that Trenton/Camden Democrats want for Monmouth County, take a drive to Cherry Hill, Paramus, North Brunswick or Bayonne.

The urbanization of the Monmouth County Democrats made a big advance yesterday when the Democratic Assembly Campaign Committee assumed Democratic Freeholder candidate Amy Mallet's $118,000 campaign debt from her failed 2003 Assembly race.

Monmouth County Democrats are now owned by Trenton/Camden Democrats. The Democratic Assembly Campaign Committee is Speaker Joe Roberts' slush fund. Roberts owes his career to Norcross. Mallet is beholden to these people. She's not the only one.

Freeholder Director wannabee John D'Amico, a founding member of Club Monmouth spent a career as a Trenton Democrat after his first tenure as a Freeholder. A legislator, judge and chairman of the state parole board, D'Amico knows his bread is buttered in Camden and how to grease the slide. If these Democrats take control on Monmouth County, we'll all be sliding.

Attention former Republicans and conservative/moderate Monmouth Democrats, the Monmouth GOP is no longer "Club Monmouth." Your party is now "Club Camden." Now might be a good time to come home.

UPDATE: Don't miss Barry Goldwater's excellent analysis of the Democrats model candidate.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not until you get rid of the rest of " Club Monmouth" or the disgusting bunch trying to HANG ON in Middletown. Carton & Co and all their disciples have to go to be gone everywhere if there's any hope at all for the Republicans here. Smell the coffee,Art, and stop trying to lie to us. This is not an endorsement for the judge either....it's a reaffirmation that there are good people in the Democratic party also. Many of us disenfranchised republicans realize that.We tired of the corruption on both side of the isle. Maybe we find a voice in the democratic party,the republicans are too busy feathering their own nests locally.blowing their own horns and the electorate is not stupid.. Keep in mind how many residents of N.J. are city transplants,etc.The handwriting is on the WALL.

Art Gallagher said...

Keep in mind how many residents of N.J. are city transplants,etc

And why would you have move here?

Not to dismiss your point. There are still bad apples on both sides, and likely always will be.

However, the GOP bad apples in Monmouth have been weakened and are on the decline. The Dem bad apples are just getting started.

Anonymous said...

its funny how all the so-called 'disgruntled republicans' in middletown were all buddies working in cooperation with the now-jailed ray o'shady, purcell and azzolina.

Anonymous said...

I agree there are bad apples on both side, BUT in Monmouth County and Middleotwn, its been one party rule for too far too long. One party rule doesnt work, never works!

Art Gallagher said...

One party rule doesnt work, never works!

I prefer split government in most cases. That is what we have in Monmouth and Middletown now, 3-2 Republican.

A split in either Middletown or Monmouth this year would give 3-2 control to the Democrats. A Dem sweep 4-1 cotrol. A Republican sweep, they maintain 3-2 control.

Given how Democrats govern in the rest of New Jersey, giving them control of Middletown or Monmouth is just too risky, Steve.

Show me a place in New Jersey where Democrats are governing better than Republicans are in Middletown or Monmouth County. I have been asking for this for months and have yet to get an answer.

Anonymous said...

Be advised I came here when I was a small child and that was a long time ago....like 65years.Have seen the decline in the caliber of candidates in the Middletown Republican party over time.This area used to be nice...no longer what it used to be and not much hope if some of the crap continues. Honesty,courage,integrity in candidates of all stripes is the only thing that will save us....N.J.,Monmouth County and Middletown ALL have work to do....all parties!!!

Anonymous said...

You can throw the word corruption around all you want, but please tell me what is corrupt about Tom Wilkins, Gerry Scharfenberger or Pam Brightbill. None of these individuals hold other public jobs or interests whatsoever. None of them take cash gifts for their legal defense that they fail to disclose (see Pat Walsh). They are beholden to nobody, whereas, Pat Walsh and the Middletown dems are beholden to the town center mall developer, the labor unions that fund them, and the state democrats that just bailed mallet out.

Anonymous said...

Tom Wilkens is fine but I believe he's fed up with current conditions,Scharfenberger understands absolutely nothing about the people ,nothing and the other one waves her hands,says nothing of value and does as the good ole boys tell her.There is far better out there.If it wasn't for the five minute rule,Scharfenberger couldn't function at all.He can't stand any viewpoint but his own,and his isn't always right. As for Pat Walsh.....prove it!!! It was one of those republican operatives still sucking up what he can on the public's dime that caused any problems Pat may have had and he lost!! It's about time people ( Mddletown republicans) who live in glass houses stopped throwing stones,all of them. Question: if this gang of three are paying their own legal fees,why do they need legal defense???? They are puppets whose controller is the Middletown chairman..

ESedler said...

Seems like your blog is very popular with Middletown Residents, Art. Funny how they come in on a post that says nothing about their town..ha.

I don't know much about "Club Monmouth", probably cause I'm still new to the county.

What I do know is that John Curley is certainly not "Club Monmouth" material what so ever.

I think a lot of these "disenfranchised" Republicans will see that Curley is a straight shooter who will have no problem saying what he believes is right, even if that disagrees with other Republicans. I'm really excited about the oppurtunity to vote for him along with Lillian Burry.

And trust me, I came from Bergen..it sure as hell aint better over there. People say the only reason Dems keep getting elected countywide in Bergen is because so many people depend on them for their paychecks.

Anonymous said...

Eric.....here's a prediction for you....the dems will win in Middletown and the republicans will win in Freehold.How's that and it has to do with the caliber of the individuals chosen on each slate. The people are not stupid and eventually right will win !!! Sometimes I just hope I live long even to see it.

Matthew Morehead said...

Eric,

Club Monmouth was one of the worst things to happen to this county. I just remember what was going on. It was a little before my time. I must say that the Middletown GOP is why I left the Republican Party. It is also why I will never return.

Art,

As for selling out, I don't think so. Everyone I have met in the local Democratic Party is a free thinker, including me. Many of the people in the party don't agree with my positions, but like everyone else I have the right to speak my mind and stand up for the members of my organization. This is one of the big differences in how the party's function.

Art Gallagher said...

Art,

As for selling out, I don't think so. Everyone I have met in the local Democratic Party is a free thinker, including me. Many of the people in the party don't agree with my positions, but like everyone else I have the right to speak my mind and stand up for the members of my organization. This is one of the big differences in how the party's function.


I wouldn't think of calling you a sell out. I agree with much of what you said. I know many of the Monmouth County Democratic leaders and have a great deal of respect for them. I've been a vocal critic of Monmouth County Republicans. It is only since June of this year that I've been an unabashed supporter. Read the archives.

During much of 2006 and 2007 as this blog was getting started, I received many overtures to switch sides. If it was a matter of dealing with the locals, it would have been an easy choice.

But when I looked to Trenton and Washington, there was no way I could attached a D to my name. I can not associate with a Corzine, Codey or Roberts. Pellosi and Reid make my skin crawl. I looked into Blue Dogs Democrats, etc and still couldn't do it. I would sooner change my sexuality and that's not happening either.

I could disapprove of the excess of Republicans on the state and national level, and fight the Republican trough-swillers locally, but I couldn't become a D. I's have no influence without a billion dollars and I don't have that (yet?)

So I kept fighting within the GOP, but I understand your frustration and respect your choice. Locally, there is no question they are very nice people. We are not enemies, we are neighbors.

John McCain's speech last night was a line in the sand to the GOP. We need to get "back to basics" and work for the people, not ourselves. We need to reduce the size of government, even with unfettered control. And we need to respect our neighbors that we don't see eye to eye with on every issue.

McCain and Palin's success is a vindication to those who walk the walk and a threat to those who talk but don't walk. The NJGOP needs to head the McCain message. The Monmouth GOP needs to keep the reforms we've been making going.