Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Power to the people


The power came back on in Monmouth and Ocean Counties after being out for less than two hours. NJ 101.5 was taking calls from listeners who said a sub-station blew up. Speculation was that we would be without electricity for a few days. Oh well, there will be no baby boom in 9 months to stimulate the MonOc economy.

The Comfort Inn on Route 35 in Middletown has back up generators that runs on both diesel and natural gas. I was packed and on my way over there for at least the night when the power came back on. Spiro the owner told me his phones were ringing off the hook and there was a strict no cancellation policy when I made the reservation. He very graciously waived the policy when I called and told his staff I wasn't coming. Great guy and a nice hotel. They have clean comfortable rooms, terrific meeting rooms, reasonable rates and free breakfast. Put your out of town guests up there or hold a meeting or party there. Tell them the Northern Monmouth Chamber of Commerce sent you. I'm going to contribute what I would have spent on the hotel room to The Community Food Bank of NJ.

James Hogan spent the blackout blogging about survival and the Asbury Park Press.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JCP&L sucks.

Unknown said...

I was running when the power outage occurred. The houses started turning dark one by one in sequence. It was awesome, like in some of those horror movies.

And again, what was Art doing at the Comfort Inn??? :-)