Sunday, March 07, 2010

Dispatches from San Juan

Thoughts About Tea Parties.

By the blogger known as Teddy Roosevelt

I like to think of myself as a rational conservative. For that reason the Tea Parties made me a little nervous. Too emotional, too conspiracy oriented and too out on the fringe. I considered them a useful tool but a dangerous one, like a table saw without any safety equipment. Unless you are really careful you are going to loose some fingers before the job is done.

Recently I had the opportunity to meet with some of them. They were angry at both Democrats and Republicans because they believe that politicians in both parties are putting their own well being ahead of the peoples. Anger is what is driving them. They were not however irrational. They were quite intelligent. They were also solid conservatives and they obviously see the conservative wing of the Republican Party as there best hope of fixing things. They have not been politically active before but they are very savvy and learning fast. For the most part hey know which politicians are trying to use them and which ones actually agree with them. I was surprised at how perceptive they were. They have much more respect for the politician who says “I disagree with you on this issue” then the person who panders to them.

The people I spoke too where not Birthers or Truthers or Ron Paul acolytes or getting ready for armed revolution. They do not hate immigrants they just want illegal immigration stopped. They recognized the need to reform the immigration laws. They recognized that the size of government must be reduced. They are for the most part socially conservative not libertarian.

They assured me that while they have some members who are a little out there the vast majority of the people in the movement where just like them. They are people who are mad as hell and aren’t going to take it any more. I now have a much better opinion of these people. I no longer feel they are “dangerous”. Sure there are some crazies and charlatans involved. Every movement has some of that but I now think the movement as a whole is a good thing for the Republican Party and for the Country.

I think I am going to make myself a cup of tea now.

Editors note: Long time MMM readers will remember "Teddy" as the Monmouth Bull Moose, a blogger and active commenter in 2006,2007, and 2008.

No comments: