Friday, April 25, 2008

It's enough to make a grown man cry

Perhaps I've been too hard on Adam Puharic.

Back in February, Puharic commented to Greater Media that bloggers are mentally retarded and perpetuate a weak gene pool. At the time I called for Puharic's resignation, not for offending bloggers, but because I felt his comments were insensitive to those with mental disabilities and genetic disorders.

Perhaps Puharic was simply relating his experience of his favorite blogger, MonmouthRastaMan.

Yesterday, I was reviewing the public record of the case of James Purcell vs "Monmouth Rasta Man", a fictitious name for Alan Moretti, John Does 1-100 and ABC Corporation 1-100, when I came across a transcript of a deposition given by Alan's (Kid Rasta) father Albert.

The senior Moretti testified that when he read the Monmouth RastaMan website, he didn't believe his son had written it, because it was too coherent:

"It didn't sound like my son. My son has been classified by two states, the state of Texas and New Jersey, as being learning disabled. It just doesn't seem like his writing."

Given this new information, I am willing to give Puharic the benefit of the doubt and consider that he was not generalizing about all bloggers, but rather talking about his friend and supporter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why is this "enough to make a grown man cry"?

Art Gallagher said...

why is this "enough to make a grown man cry"?

While not part of the transcript, I heard second hand that Kid Rasta cried when his father testified about his learning disablities.

Anonymous said...

where can those records be viewed?

Art Gallagher said...

where can those records be viewed?

I have them scanned. Send me an email and I will be happy to send them to you. Otherwise, you can go to the court house and request a copy of the court's file on the case.